Welcome to my blog. It is my sincere prayer that these entries will encourage you and enable you to see how valuable you are to Jesus who is the ultimate Jewel. As children of the One True King we have been given riches that supersede our wildest imaginations! Every truth revealed to us through God's Word is more precious than the most fine and rare of gemstones. Blessings to each of you...
Much love,
Julie

Sunday, August 20, 2017

Letting Go



                         "Let us go into His tabernacle; Let us worship at His footstool."
                                                            Psalm 132:7




We all experience so many seasons in our lives, and, for me, this is truly a reflective one. Thirty-four years ago, I became a Mom for the very first time and have always had children under roof for the duration. This will be the first time in thirty-four years that I will not, as our youngest daughter, Abigail, is heading off to Boston for college. All my other children went to college close by, which was just perfect for me. This time, however, will be totally different and I am still trying to figure out the logistics of it all.

In my mind, I know this is an exciting time for Abbie and the perfect transition for her into adulthood. However, my heart does not yet know that. As we finish up this last week of having her at home, it is really hard not to feel a "pit" in my stomach and to continually fight the urge to burst into tears. Yet, I know that as hard as this transition may be, that God does have a good plan for our family and that I will learn to trust Him yet again.

"Letting go" is not something that comes easily for me. I really do not like change and I definitely do not like having my children thousands of miles away. All of my happiest memories are the ones where every family member is together at home and we all have the time to just hang out and enjoy each other's company. To me, this is what feels right and good and the way it should be.

However, it cannot always be this way. God has a plan for each one of our children, and, deep in my heart, I don't want to stand in the way of that. It's being caught in the tension of what is supposed to be and what I would really prefer to happen that creates a conundrum for me. It is in recognizing that God has a higher  purpose and calling that brings me to my knees and cries out for His comfort in the deepest recesses of my heart and soul.

When people use the phrase to "let go and let God", I don't think this means to passively just sit back and do nothing. For me, it is to let go of what my expectations are and to trust that God has a better plan. This holds true especially if I don't understand His plan or if it doesn't feel good to me. His thoughts are definitely higher and all His ways are perfect.

I must learn to take every thought captive and not allow myself to worry about the myriad of things that are beyond my control- like her tripping up a flight of stairs or falling down off of her lofted bed. I cannot focus on the blizzards in Boston or potential natural disasters that could occur. I steer clear of all the medical possibilities including meningitis from living in the dorm (even though we did get the vaccination!). I remind myself that I don't believe in aliens so she won't be abducted and that all of us have survived steady diets of ramen noodles. Mostly, I allow God to calm my nerves and assure me that she will make good choices, and in the event she does not, that He will still be there to guide her steps and light her path. Oh yeah, and He always has been...Oh yeah, and He even loves her more than I do...

Asking God for more patience sometimes seems like something I want to avoid, however, in situations that are going to last for a long time, we might as well have the patience to go along with it. Prayer is one way to develop this skill because we seek God and learn to wait for His answers. He will give us supernatural strength to change our perspective.

All of us have areas in our lives where we need to release our grip and trust God more. Some of us hold too tightly to loved ones, or job security, or fighting illnesses or potential divorce. Instead of fully trusting in God, we can trust in ourselves or others.  We can also hold back in our giftings or callings because we allow fear or doubt to take control. Sometimes it is easier to stick with what is familiar than to successfully transition into the new place that God has for us.

The  new place can look scary or daunting or unfamiliar. We may have far more questions than we do answers. Don't pull back, though. Keep marching forward, knowing that God is with you and He will supply all your needs according to His riches in glory. He is good and He is faithful!

While every season in our lives may have its' own unique challenges, each one also has its' own unique beauty and blessings. That is where we focus our thoughts, remembering to thank God for every gift He gives. Sometimes He gives us the gifts in the midst of bounty and sometimes in the midst of the desert.

Focusing on Him and worshipping and trusting Him will yield the greatest harvest in our lives. He honors and blesses our sacrifices of praise the most of all. He is the best Father of all and He will never allow anything into our lives that He will not ultimately work together for our good.

If today you have a lump in your throat or a pit in your stomach, take some time alone with God so He can calm your nerves and obliterate your fears. He is bigger than our greatest challenge and worthy of our highest praise. Turn it all over to Him and watch what He will do!


"Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand."
                                                        Isaiah 41:10





1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your entry here, for the time and effort you make to put down your thoughts and share them with us. This is very encouraging to me and a great reminder to lay it down and trust and be patience and watch what God can do. Blessings, Jane

    ReplyDelete