Welcome to my blog. It is my sincere prayer that these entries will encourage you and enable you to see how valuable you are to Jesus who is the ultimate Jewel. As children of the One True King we have been given riches that supersede our wildest imaginations! Every truth revealed to us through God's Word is more precious than the most fine and rare of gemstones. Blessings to each of you...
Much love,
Julie

Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Season Of Joy



"Christian joy is a good feeling in the soul, produced by the Holy Spirit, as He causes us to see the beauty of Christ in the Word and in the world."
                                                              John Piper




Throughout the Bible, God calls His children to possess emotions that they are incapable of producing on their own. We are instructed to never fear or be anxious while the apostle, Paul, exhorts us to "Always be joyful" (1 Thessalonians 5:16, NLT). Because our flesh carries with it frailties and weaknesses and the propensity to sin if left to itself, these commands are not possible for us alone. Never and Always would be elusive at best.

The real question for us comes after we have been fearful or without joy. Will we then stuff our emotions or lean into the Holy Spirit to provide us what we never really could have provided for ourselves? Will we recognize that joy is both a gift from God and a response to the gift He has given?

The older I get the more acutely aware I am of how everything good in our lives comes from God. The beautiful sunrise, the air we breathe, the family we love, and the smile on a child's face are but a few of the blessings we can receive every single day. Too often, our frustrations come at the perceived things in our lives that don't go right rather than appreciating the plethora of things that do.

Yesterday I sat in a surgical waiting room for several hours watching the patients and families come and go. I saw very difficult diagnoses and challenges and watched time and again the physicians who had to explain the implications to the loved ones who waited. There were gasps and tears and instantaneous grief. There were also smiles of relief when the surgeries were completed. All of this really highlighted for me two things: how many true blessings I do have and how quickly life can turn on a dime. I wondered how people make it through crises without Jesus? Without real peace? Without real comfort? Without the assurance of salvation when this life is over?

I also really understood that joy is not contingent upon my circumstances. When Jesus is with you, you can find joy anywhere. It can be found in a hospital room, a classroom, a court room, a board room, or any other place on this planet. It is never conditional upon our circumstances; it is only conditional upon our relationship with the Lord.

Jesus said, "I have loved you just as the Father has loved Me; remain in My love [and do not doubt My love for you]. If you keep My commandments and obey My teaching, you will remain in My love, just as I have kept My Father's commandments and remain in His love. I have told you these things so that My joy and delight may be in you and that your joy may be made full and complete and overflowing" (John 15:9-11).

If I were to be completely transparent here, I would have to say that the first two places the enemy comes hard at me when I am my most vulnerable is by trying to convince me that God is not with me and that God does not love me. At times, this has not even been a hard sell for him. Too easily I have received the very lies that keeps joy at bay.

There have been other times when I really just needed to change my perspective on things. (Husbands can be good at pointing out this truth!). Whenever I tend to dwell on the dramatic or give way to the illusion that I am helpless in my circumstances, there usually comes a quick jolt back to what the truth really is:)

God has given us the fruit of His Spirit to assist us in all situations. He generously doles out: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. Our supply is never withheld or lacking in quantity. What He gives to us we can then generously give to others I our lives.

Life is sacred and it is precious and there is so much good that God brings to us on a daily basis. When we have the maturity to recognize the beauty in the Word and the beauty in the world, there is no limit to how we can bless other people. We literally can become the gift of joy for them that God has given to us. It is our life in Christ and it is our testimony.


There is a huge difference between happiness and joy. Happiness is temporary and contingent upon outward circumstances. Joy is permanent and cannot be destroyed by outside forces because it actually comes from the Holy Spirit inside of us. Joy understands that God is with us (Immanuel) and that He loves us like crazy no matter what. Joy trusts. Joy rests. Joy is our strength.

And yet, joy can be the easiest thing to lose at times. There can seem to be a killjoy around every corner. Even the prophet, Jeremiah, said, "There is no joy left in our hearts" (Lamentations 5:15).

So, if joy is something that you have lost, the first thing you need to do is to recognize it and admit it. If there was ever a time that you were more joyful in the Lord, recognize and admit it. Ask God for His help and His provision. David did when he prayed, "Restore to me the joy of your salvation" (Psalm 51:12).

Know Him and grow in Him because He is beautiful and captivating. His presence is refreshing, satisfying, and exciting. Allow Him to become large enough in your heart to eclipse all that troubles you. Spend time in His Word and look for His loveliness in the world.

During this hectic Christmas season (and all other seasons), it really is possible to continually possess true joy. In fact, Jesus died to make that possible for us. Receive His gift today and take a deep breath and enjoy this Season of Joy!


"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you at abound in hope."
                                                            Romans 15:13










1 comment: